Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Happy Two!

My little Lorelai -- 

It seems unbelievable that we're here already. A second birthday. Wowza. And after a little coaching, you've been getting excited at the concept. For a week or so now, if we ask how old you'll be, you hold up both index fingers and chant, "uh-TWO!" (Always with the "uh" preceding. It's a point of emphasis, I guess.) 

And the emphasis on 2 seems fitting, because on this birthday, there are really just two things I want to tell you:

You are precious to us. We love you, plain and simple. I guess we officially can't call you a baby now, and our precious baby is becoming a precious girl. And no number of toddler timeouts will change this simple fact. Your daddy and I had a good life together as a family of two for ten big years -- but I have to say our family of three fills my heart even bigger. These days, you are so full of questions, and you insist on your bows & clips, and you love imitating every kind of animal (even snakes!) -- and we just love being a part of you exploring your world. You bring music into each day, as you're learning to sing bits of your favorite songs (Old MacDonald; Baa, Baa, Black Sheep; If You're Happy and You Know It...) and to request them. We love music, too, little one, and I love hearing you find your voice.

You are precious to God. You're even picking up a few songs from church, especially "Read Your Bible..." And you're getting pretty interested in your baby Bible at home. While I know you're largely drawn to the brightly colored pictures now, it makes me happy to think of the chances we will have to show you the promises the Bible holds. It teaches us that we simply can't be good all the time (probably a good thing to remember as we enter into the two-year-old phase!) and so we need Him, but it also teaches that God delights in us. He sings over us. Isn't that amazing? I feel I get a little sense of this now, as I think of all the times I've sung over you at bedtime, delighting in you even moments after a meltdown or mini-rebellion. God, of course, is so much bigger than me or my understanding, but it brings me comfort to think that he can delight in me -- little, flawed me. And I hope you, my little girl, will find comfort in love, too -- mine now, but ultimately, God's love.

I just know we'll have so much fun in the next year -- laughter and surprises and learning. We are so happy that you are our little girl!

Love you lots, my Lolabug :-)

'Til next time, Love to our Lorelai

No comments:

Post a Comment