Since returning to daycare a month ago, you've entered the world of big(ger) kids. Your return meant a new classroom. I was taken aback on day 2 when a couple of these kids, just months older than you, could say your name clearly. I mean, really, Lorelai is not the easy name of any play yard.
Being in this new classroom has created new skills and new laughter. You're suddenly proficient at chunky wooden puzzles, and you have a renewed interest in books. (happy English teacher heart)
And when you started suddenly pushing off my chest at night to growl "Bobby, Bobby, Bobby" and laugh hysterically, I had to ask your teacher if she understood. You obliged with a demonstration for her, and she laughed. Your sweet teacher calls little toddler girls "Mamacita" and little toddler boys "Poppy." I'm not sure why you created a caricature of this habit, but you made us smile.
And when you started suddenly pushing off my chest at night to growl "Bobby, Bobby, Bobby" and laugh hysterically, I had to ask your teacher if she understood. You obliged with a demonstration for her, and she laughed. Your sweet teacher calls little toddler girls "Mamacita" and little toddler boys "Poppy." I'm not sure why you created a caricature of this habit, but you made us smile.
But my favorite new thing? You're learning to pretend. You suddenly understand your toy tea set, and you try to share your tea with your baby doll. (I tried to convince you that tea, if caffeinated, is hardly proper nourishment for an infant -- but you were having none of my advice.) You even make the little glub-glub noise of pretend drinking. It's great. I see glimpses of talking with and for your stuffed animals around a table.
Speaking of animals, you've begun to call yours by name. Momma might have helped in the creation of names (with occasional questions like "Is this Henry?"), but you have settled on a couple with firm clarity. Your mouse may still go by only "Mouse," but you now have Mimi the monkey and Ellie the elephant. (That last one makes me chuckle, since Ellie is supposed to be a nickname option for Lorelai.) At recent bedtimes -- or really, anytime in your room -- you call loudly for Mimi and Ellie. They join us for night-night storytime and snuggle in with you for night-night dreams.
And, my sweet girl, I didn't anticipate what is now one of my favorite things. You've become very consistent at mealtimes in requesting that we "pay" -- which if not for the palms slapped together under your chin, I might not have easily recognized as "pray." Your daycare has a practice of a general sort of prayer (...thank you, God, for everything...), but I find myself a little surprised that you've latched onto this idea so clearly. There may be no sweeter sound than your gentle "Ah-men" at the end of a little meal prayer. And at the end of a night-time "bibble" (Bible) story prayer. Happy heart again.
You're so little-girl these days -- more to say, more opinions about clothes and activities. I love our storytimes and night-night talks. You're all our child and all your own -- part pensive, part comic.
No comments:
Post a Comment