Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful for Momma's Girl

Sweet little Lorelai --

Today is your first Thanksgiving. And while it doesn't mean much to you now -- mostly a chance to try yummy big people food and play with your cousin's toys -- for me, it's nearly the end of a month during which we try to count our blessings.



Not that gratitude should be confined to November, but there's something special about noting blessings and sharing in the notes of our friends. And clearly the blessings of our home include several about you. You are our little blessing.

1st bite of pumpkin pie!

I've been thinking about what, specifically, I'm thankful for right now, and I think I have an answer. I'm thankful that you're Momma's girl. For now, at least. I have good friends who remind me that good or bad, no phase lasts forever. And this phase may sometimes be tiring, but it's also pretty special.

So I'm thankful that you reach for me every time I enter a room. I'm thankful for the tears you shed when I leave, because they remind me that you need me. I'm thankful that your favorite spot to snuggle is against my chest. I'm thankful when I make you smile and laugh, and I'm glad that this happens so often.



Don't get me wrong -- I look forward to some changes. I don't want your daddy to feel sad because you reach for me instead of him.  It makes us both happy when you smile and laugh and reach for him. And I want you to grow and make new friends and to be confident in yourself.

But I hope you will still be Momma's girl. I hope your next phases will include sweet hugs and sometimes snuggles. But I can't know for sure, so for now I'll be thankful for this year's closeness.


'Til next time, Love to my Lorelai :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment