My little Lorelai --
We had an interesting month.
The first weekend of October, I went to a women's retreat for church. Your daddy and I realized these were my first nights apart from you. After almost nine months, it felt a little strange not to give you a goodnight hug and kiss.
But your daddy helped out by sending pics and videos.
![]() |
| Missing Mommy? |
![]() |
| Happy Peeps! |
I missed you two, but this was good time. I got to be with 20 other mommas, and we laughed [and ate] and talked [and ate] and prayed. Our focus text was Psalm 84. I learned lots of good things – about strength and praise and trust – but I think one part was still floating through my mind when I came home to you and Daddy.
“How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord…Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young—a place near your altar…Blessed are those who dwell in your house…”
At the retreat, we talked about the word “dwell” – to remain, to settle down. This is hard for your momma sometimes. I often feel so busy, so in the middle of things that “must” be done, that I have trouble settling down or settling my mind. I seem to be constantly running through a to-do list, on the go until, sometimes, I feel exhausted.
But I look at the verses, and I think. I’m building (with your daddy) a home, a nest – and I want it to be one where sometimes we just “remain” in each other’s company – and God’s graces. I want our home to be a place where God is known and a place that feels lovely. And sometimes that means stopping.
A week after the retreat, we went to visit your great-grandmother, Maw, along with Gigi, your aunt Lindsay, and cousin Ryan. Saturday, after breakfast, we trekked out to a pumpkin patch for the cousins’ first pumpkin pictures – in costume, no less. We had a good time.
After our short trip, it was already lunchtime. The task-centered, go-go part of me might think, "A whole morning, and all we managed was a short trip for pictures?"
But then there's the little voice, the part of me that's learning, that thinks, "A morning for baby play and pictures? How lovely. How good for us." And I felt glad to have that time.
Then recently, you caught a stomach bug from the little petri dishes at school. (You're a little petri dish, too, so I guess we'll have to forgive them.) And while your sickness wasn't fun, I was so happy to spend a day at home with you. We had a slow breakfast together, read books, played, and talked to the puppy. All while people were on the go-go beyond our little home.
So yesterday, when we got home from your Halloween "parade" at school, and you were too tired & grouchy, we took 45 minutes to lie on the couch and let you sleep.
It was a good day.
'Til next time, Love to my Lorelai









No comments:
Post a Comment