Friday, August 17, 2012

Love Song of a Working Momma

My sweet little Lolabug:

You're just finishing your first week of daycare, and I'll be back at work full-time next week.
 
Everyone said the first days of daycare would be an adjustment.  And they have been. But you're trying, I think, and your daycare people are doing their best to make us feel at home.

1st Day Welcome Sign

An email sent by sweet people this week!
But still, there's that twinge of mommy guilt -- amid the well-intentioned voices that say a momma should stay home, that suggest a baby thrives best with momma, that make me hope you won't grow up thinking some job was more important than you. (Because that isn't true.)
 
During a time of thinking and praying this summer, as I tried to be open to the idea that I might be called away from work, a precious friend spent time with me and told me that she believed God can call us to more than one thing at a time. She believed I was needed both as your momma and as a teacher.
 
I hope so. I think so. I like to think I do some measure of good in my classroom. I have a reputation for being "hard," but most of my students end up seeing improvement in themselves by the end of the year. (I think some of them end up liking me, too. Imagine!) And really, that's what I hope for at work: to help students feel and be better.
 
And I think ultimately I see my job as a means of serving others, and certainly this is a quality I hope to inspire in you. I want you to grow up believing that God and Daddy and you matter most -- but others matter, too.
 
So at least for now, I'll be working. I'll be helping others learn and grow, and then running back home to watch you learn and grow, too. I'll be plastering your pictures all over my classroom. I'll be loving you every bit as much when you're in the care of others.
 
And I'll miss you while I'm out of sight.

Thinking it over, these are a few things I'll fondly miss until our next time of staying home together:

Breakfasts that take an hour -- to get you fed, me fed, and us finished with some very profound conversations (over banana bits).

Cuddle time as you watch Wild Animal Baby Explorers.

(You're very serious about those animals.)

 
Puppy play :-)

More time for visits at home from people who love us both --
Gigi

Maw

Aunt Lindsay
and others, too :-)
The other day, I was looking online, and I saw templates for lunchbox notes, from momma to kiddo. A precious idea for a precious one. So, I thought I would write you a few lunchtime notes for the days ahead…
 
You make me smile when: you get silly during playtime. I love seeing your little personality emerge, and so far, we seem to amuse each other. Great thing.

You are wonderful because: God made you especially for me (and your Daddy). You are our answer to prayer.

I am proud of you because: I get to be proud of you. Because you are mine to take pride in. Because you are funny and active and curious and sweet.

I'll be thinking of you when: I teach. When I eat lunch. When I have a moment to sit. When I am busy. Pretty much at moments throughout my day.


'Til next time, Love to my Lorelai


 
 

2 comments:

  1. Ah...beautiful post! Lorelai is such a lucky little girl. She's going to spend these first few years surrounded by love...you, her little friends, her teachers, your students. You're a wonderful mom and a fabulous teacher! Oh, how you'll love those moments of rushing home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! As a former student of yours, I want to absolutely affirm that you help students "feel and be better" :) I'm encouraged by your wrestle and pray that any guilty twinges be SQUASHED as you continue to walk in His will. You are passing down beautiful things to your little lady-a love for books and the value of serving others. Much love, Helen.

    ReplyDelete